- My son, if thou receivest my words, and layest up my commandments with thee,
- so that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom [and] thou apply thy heart to understanding;
- yea, if thou criest after discernment [and] liftest up thy voice to understanding;
- if thou seekest her as silver and searchest for her as for hidden treasures:
- then shalt thou understand the fear of Jehovah, and find the knowledge of God.
- For Jehovah giveth wisdom; out of his mouth [come] knowledge and understanding.
- He layeth up sound wisdom for the upright; [he] is a shield to them that walk in integrity;
- guarding the paths of just judgment and keeping the way of his godly ones.
- Then shalt thou understand righteousness and judgment and equity: every good path.
- When wisdom entereth into thy heart and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul,
- discretion shall keep thee, understanding shall preserve thee:
- To deliver thee from the way of evil, from the man that speaketh froward things;
- [from those] who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;
- who rejoice to do evil, [and] delight in the frowardness of evil;
- whose paths are crooked, and who are perverted in their course:
- To deliver thee from the strange woman, from the stranger who flattereth with her words;
- who forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God;
- —for her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead;
- none that go unto her return again, neither do they attain to the paths of life:
- —that thou mayest walk in the way of the good, and keep the paths of the righteous.
- For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it;
- but the wicked shall be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful shall be plucked up out of it.
Proverbs Chapter 2 (Darby Translation)