- Now in those days comes John the baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
- and saying, Repent, for the kingdom of the heavens has drawn nigh.
- For this is he who has been spoken of through Esaias the prophet, saying, Voice of him that crieth in the wilderness: prepare ye the way of [the] Lord, make straight his paths.
- And John himself had his garment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins, and his nourishment was locusts and wild honey.
- Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the country round the Jordan,
- and were baptised by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
- But seeing many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, Offspring of vipers, who has forewarned you to flee from the coming wrath?
- Produce therefore fruit worthy of repentance.
- And do not think to say within yourselves, We have Abraham for [our] father; for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children to Abraham.
- And already the axe is applied to the root of the trees; every tree therefore not producing good fruit is cut down and cast into the fire.
- I indeed baptise you with water to repentance, but he that comes after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not fit to bear; he shall baptise you with [the] Holy Spirit and fire;
- whose winnowing fan [is] in his hand, and he shall thoroughly purge his threshing-floor, and shall gather his wheat into the garner, but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
- Then comes Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptised of him;
- but John urgently forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptised of thee; and comest thou to me?
- But Jesus answering said to him, Suffer [it] now; for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffers him.
- And Jesus, having been baptised, went up straightway from the water, and lo, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him:
- and behold, a voice out of the heavens saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I have found my delight.
Matthew Chapter 3 (Darby Translation)