- Book of the generation of Jesus Christ, Son of David, Son of Abraham.
- Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat Juda and his brethren;
- and Juda begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom, and Esrom begat Aram,
- and Aram begat Aminadab, and Aminadab begat Naasson, and Naasson begat Salmon,
- and Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse,
- and Jesse begat David the king. And David begat Solomon, of her [that had been the wife] of Urias;
- and Solomon begat Roboam, and Roboam begat Abia, and Abia begat Asa,
- and Asa begat Josaphat, and Josaphat begat Joram, and Joram begat Ozias,
- and Ozias begat Joatham, and Joatham begat Achaz, and Achaz begat Ezekias,
- and Ezekias begat Manasses, and Manasses begat Amon, and Amon begat Josias,
- and Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, at the time of the carrying away of Babylon.
- And after the carrying away of Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel, and Salathiel begat Zorobabel,
- and Zorobabel begat Abiud, and Abiud begat Eliakim, and Eliakim begat Azor,
- and Azor begat Sadoc, and Sadoc begat Achim, and Achim begat Eliud,
- and Eliud begat Eliazar, and Eliazar begat Matthan, and Matthan begat Jacob,
- and Jacob begat Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
- All the generations, therefore, from Abraham to David [were] fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away of Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the carrying away of Babylon unto the Christ, fourteen generations.
- Now the birth of Jesus Christ was thus: His mother, Mary, that is, having been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found to be with child of [the] Holy Spirit.
- But Joseph, her husband, being [a] righteous [man], and unwilling to expose her publicly, purposed to have put her away secretly;
- but while he pondered on these things, behold, an angel of [the] Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, fear not to take to [thee] Mary, thy wife, for that which is begotten in her is of [the] Holy Spirit.
- And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins.
- Now all this came to pass that that might be fulfilled which was spoken by [the] Lord, through the prophet, saying,
- Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which is, being interpreted, 'God with us.'
- But Joseph, having awoke up from his sleep, did as the angel of [the] Lord had enjoined him, and took to [him] his wife,
- and knew her not until she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.
Matthew Chapter 1 (Darby Translation)