- And Jonah prayed unto Jehovah his God out of the fish's belly;
- and he said: I cried by reason of my distress unto Jehovah, and he answered me; Out of the belly of Sheol cried I: thou heardest my voice.
- For thou didst cast me into the depth, into the heart of the seas, And the flood was round about me: All thy breakers and thy billows are gone over me.
- And I said, I am cast out from before thine eyes, Yet will I look again toward thy holy temple.
- The waters encompassed me, to the soul: The deep was round about me, The weeds were wrapped about my head.
- I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; The bars of the earth [closed] upon me for ever: But thou hast brought up my life from the pit, O Jehovah my God.
- When my soul fainted within me, I remembered Jehovah; And my prayer came in unto thee, Into thy holy temple.
- They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
- But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that which I have vowed. Salvation is of Jehovah.
- And Jehovah commanded the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry [land].
Jonah Chapter 2 (Darby Translation)